Thursday, August 27, 2009

On to day 2

Day one of school ended up being a success. It started out rocky. As usual there were tears. I'll let you guess who. Just don't make fun of Chris. I'm only kidding of course. The day ended well. Taylor told me that no sad faces only happy faces were allowed in her classroom. I'm hoping that helps tomorrows drop off.
It was a good day at home as well. The boys and re-organized the bonus room and I only had to deal with a minor poop issue. I love how the poop stuff is now classified in levels. This time it was my own fault. Spencie has a super bad diaper rash and I wanted to let it air out so I figured what would be the harm if he had just pooped to let him run around nudey. Apparently that kid is a pooping machine. Anyway enough about poop. I recently read an article in a Parents magazine that was titled 39 Things Every Mom Should Know. I thought I would share some of the ones that I thought were applicable to me.

-Just throw away poopy underwear. (This one is so applicable to me right now. I'm not sure Quinks has many pairs left after the summer.)
-Don't beat yourself up if you have to use a bribe. (So been there done that.)
-Put band-aids on everything your kids want to. Why not? (Our kids love band-aids. We have a family portrait from when Taylor was 2 and Quinks was a baby and you can see her band-aid that isn't serving any type of purpose. I love it.)
-Know this: That stain won't come out. And it's okay. The sooner you accept this the better. (Good for my messy eaters.)
-Embrace their quirks. (Hard sometimes but I'm learning.)
-Answer this question: What is the worst thing that will happen if your kids sleep in their clothes?
-Never stifle a generous inclination.
-Teach them to pump ASAP. (Boy am I glad they don't need my help. Is it too soon for me to teach Spencer?)
-If your child falls asleep occasionally without brushing her teeth, don't wake her; baby teeth do eventually fall out. (Phew I feel like a bad Mom when we forget and then they fall asleep. Good to know I'm not the only one.)
-Buy kids deodorant before they need it. (I'm not really sure when they need it but I know I'm afraid of smelling and my kids have already started to try out Daddy's deodorant.)
-It's fine to brag about yourself to your kids. (I don't think as parents we do that enough.)
-You're never too old to dress up and decorate your house for Halloween. And it's more fun for everyone if you are into it. It also entitles you to more candy. (And I loves candy!)
-If the school year, new babysitter, or karate class gets off to a rocky start don't totally stress about it. Instead think of the improvement that can be made by the end of the year. (This might just have to be one of our motto's. It will get better.)
-Independence is a wonderful thing. For everyone. So is together time. Make sure you have a healthy dose of both. ( I like to think we have that.)

So there you have it. Just a 'few' out of the list. I hope if your kids have started school that everything is going well and if they haven't yet that the next weeks to come are good ones. Cherish these moments even if they make you cry.

3 comments:

Heather said...

I may regret asking this, but what does "teach them to pump asap" mean?

And I'm glad day one went well!!

I also like bandaids.

Joy and Darrin said...

I think it means to pump their legs so you dont have to get up and push them every 30 seconds on the swing!! It ranks right up there with reading and toilet training!!

Nice post, Kirst!
Wanna coffee today?

Kirst said...

Yes it does mean the swing pumping.