Monday, October 19, 2009

Friendship

What does friendship mean to you? Or what defines a friend? I posted this question as my status on facebook yesterday and got quite a few thoughts.

I've been thinking about what being a good friend means.
Here are some of the thoughts that I got:

  • It's when someone is watching your back. Just because they truly care about you.
  • They are interested in your well being at all times. Loyalty.
  • It means they love you unconditionally despite any faults
  • A friend would also tell you the truth even though it may not be what you want to hear. A friend would also be engaged in your conversations, listening and offering opinions when needed, focused on the moment that you are sharing together.
  • true friends are the ones that dont ask alot of questions and just say...if you're happy, Im happy...loyalty, trusting and non-judgmental...and will be there in a heartbeat, despite their busyness...
  • A friend is someone who is there for you, to be honest with you, to laugh with, and cry with, for good and for the not so good. They are your person
  • A friend is someone that is always there for you, no matter what's going on in their life. They listen without judging, love without questioning, and support without asking for anything in return. Someone that you can confide in because you trust them 100%.
  • true friends can sometimes be hard to find. So it is awesome when you find them.

Thanks to everyone who responded. I want to be the best friend I can be to my friends. And I hope that I am. I love all my friends. Old and new.

4 comments:

Karri said...

You are a GREAT friend! I really appreciated the phone calls while I lived so far away. They always seemed to come just when I needed them. I have always appreciated your openess and honesty as well. And I love that you care so much about people! One thing I really learned over the past year...was just how important friends are! Thanks for being one of BEST ones!

Faye said...

Even though I'm your Mom & you are my daughter, you are also a special friend to me, and I love how you ARE a friend to others & it makes me proud.

kristen said...

I think a good friend is also someone who understands when there is too much crap going on in your life to be there for her or him as "solidly" as you would like to be.

I agree- good friends aren't always easy to find, but it is really wonderful when you do find them :)

Joy and Darrin said...

Different friends fulfill different roles for me. I've been blessed to have very fulfilling friendships. You are definately one of those people.